Prayers for Peace

As a parent, we all want what is best for our children and at times it is hard to know what is best. Thankfully we have God who is in control and guides us to make the necessary decisions and leads us on a path that will ultimately glorify His Name.

This past Monday Rob and I met with Noah’s surgeon to discuss the upcoming surgery (on Friday). We had some questions, as we were not completely comfortable with the surgery being done at this point. I am so very thankful that we were able to meet with him. I can’t say that I’m not nervous about the surgery (okay, truth be told I’m stressed and anxious), however hearing the doctor’s explanation put me a little more at ease.

As the doctor mentioned, Noah’s bladder draining as it is, is the best scenario for him. So why change it, right? Noah’s urethra continues to close up and this needs to be stopped. It is felt that keeping it moist will enable it to remain open and in order to do this, urine needs to flow through it.

It’s a simple surgery, as Danielle will tell you if you ask: ’the doctor is going to close Noah’s hole in his tummy so he can pee from his bum.’ (Isn’t she precious!).
However, the post-surgery risks are many and they are what is causing my hesitation for this surgery. The medical team is aware of these risks and Noah will be monitored closely after surgery to make sure that things continue to work as they should - that his urethra remains open, his bladder fully drains and that his kidney function remains the same. At home, we will be monitoring for infection.

I know it is not right to dwell on the things that can go wrong, but there are times when it is difficult not to. We see Noah here at home, laughing at Danielle and Jordan, taking in the world around him and happy, so very happy. How I pray that he will remain happy and that this surgery will be a giant step forward with no steps backward, not even a baby one. We must take things one day at a time and pray for peace, strength and guidance each step of the way.

Comments