‘Happy is he whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the LORD his God…’ Psalm 146:5
Last week we met with the nephrologist (kidney specialist) at the Sick Kids Hospital. He told us a little bit about what to expect when Noah is born, as far as testing and things go. The concerns for Noah at this point, as far as the kidneys are concerned, are one of two things: he has a urinary blockage, or his bladder has no muscle. The testing that they will do within a few days of birth will help to determine where the problem is, and then steps can be taken to try to correct it. Again, he had no definite answers to offer us, yet there is something that I have not felt in a long time: hope. What a blessed word that is! The doctor told us that from what he has seen, he has seen worse situations, and in one case, the child is now 3 years old. We did not ask about the quality of this child’s life, but there was some reassurance in his words.
I feel a little ashamed in admitting that I needed to hear such words coming from the mouth of a doctor, when the LORD assures us continuously in His Word that He offers us hope, He is the Authour of hope. Yet I also think that He knew that this is exactly what I needed. All along I have not expected to have much time with my baby, and the LORD has told me that with Him, ANYTHING is possible and He is not finished with us yet. I have been clinging to this ever since.
In all of this, I have somewhat lost sight of the issues that Noah will have, and I do need to remind myself that we are not expecting a healthy child. I cannot forget the severity of these issues and think that all will be well. Yet I have been reminded that the LORD is in complete control, and I try to rest in that comfort.
Last week we also thought that we were going to meet little Noah. This showed us that we are not prepared for what is to come (not that we ever really will be). We had thought, while in the hospital that we would like to meet Noah, to know with more certainty what is wrong with him and begin to deal with this. But, Noah seems to be quite content where he is! And I have learned that this is okay. As much as I would like to see his face, to hold his tiny little hands, and wrap him in my arms, I know that as long as I am carrying him, he is happy and he is alive – that much is certain. And the longer that he has to grow and further develop, the better.
Our appointment this week went well, with no changes again. There is no plan to induce, or schedule a C-section, but just to let things happen naturally. I have 2 and a half weeks until my due date, and until things happen, we will just carry on.
Have I mentioned that Rob has been able to come with me on all of the doctors’ appointments? Rob has been working nights for the past 2 months, and as trying as that can be at times, it has been such a blessing because he can come with me and not need to take time off of work. The LORD knew that I needed to have Rob by my side through all of the appointments, and has blessed me! (and Rob too, of course, because this has been one way for him to be involved in everything that is taking place).
We have been asked by a number of people about Noah’s bladder collapsing: what has happened to all of the fluid that is held. In answer to that, one of two things have occurred – either the fluid has been reabsorbed into the body as needed (as baby’s in the womb breathe in amniotic fluid and the body takes what it needs while expelling the rest), or it means that Noah’s kidneys are not functioning as they should be.
As the days pass by, we continue to lean upon our LORD and Heavenly Father and try to remember that there can be found a Joy in the Journey. Click here for the song by Micheal Card. (Thank you for the reminder!).
Last week we met with the nephrologist (kidney specialist) at the Sick Kids Hospital. He told us a little bit about what to expect when Noah is born, as far as testing and things go. The concerns for Noah at this point, as far as the kidneys are concerned, are one of two things: he has a urinary blockage, or his bladder has no muscle. The testing that they will do within a few days of birth will help to determine where the problem is, and then steps can be taken to try to correct it. Again, he had no definite answers to offer us, yet there is something that I have not felt in a long time: hope. What a blessed word that is! The doctor told us that from what he has seen, he has seen worse situations, and in one case, the child is now 3 years old. We did not ask about the quality of this child’s life, but there was some reassurance in his words.
I feel a little ashamed in admitting that I needed to hear such words coming from the mouth of a doctor, when the LORD assures us continuously in His Word that He offers us hope, He is the Authour of hope. Yet I also think that He knew that this is exactly what I needed. All along I have not expected to have much time with my baby, and the LORD has told me that with Him, ANYTHING is possible and He is not finished with us yet. I have been clinging to this ever since.
In all of this, I have somewhat lost sight of the issues that Noah will have, and I do need to remind myself that we are not expecting a healthy child. I cannot forget the severity of these issues and think that all will be well. Yet I have been reminded that the LORD is in complete control, and I try to rest in that comfort.
Last week we also thought that we were going to meet little Noah. This showed us that we are not prepared for what is to come (not that we ever really will be). We had thought, while in the hospital that we would like to meet Noah, to know with more certainty what is wrong with him and begin to deal with this. But, Noah seems to be quite content where he is! And I have learned that this is okay. As much as I would like to see his face, to hold his tiny little hands, and wrap him in my arms, I know that as long as I am carrying him, he is happy and he is alive – that much is certain. And the longer that he has to grow and further develop, the better.
Our appointment this week went well, with no changes again. There is no plan to induce, or schedule a C-section, but just to let things happen naturally. I have 2 and a half weeks until my due date, and until things happen, we will just carry on.
Have I mentioned that Rob has been able to come with me on all of the doctors’ appointments? Rob has been working nights for the past 2 months, and as trying as that can be at times, it has been such a blessing because he can come with me and not need to take time off of work. The LORD knew that I needed to have Rob by my side through all of the appointments, and has blessed me! (and Rob too, of course, because this has been one way for him to be involved in everything that is taking place).
We have been asked by a number of people about Noah’s bladder collapsing: what has happened to all of the fluid that is held. In answer to that, one of two things have occurred – either the fluid has been reabsorbed into the body as needed (as baby’s in the womb breathe in amniotic fluid and the body takes what it needs while expelling the rest), or it means that Noah’s kidneys are not functioning as they should be.
As the days pass by, we continue to lean upon our LORD and Heavenly Father and try to remember that there can be found a Joy in the Journey. Click here for the song by Micheal Card. (Thank you for the reminder!).
Our God is an Awesome God!
ReplyDeleteLove from your sister in Christ...Jackie